Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
There are many variations of this sandwich in California. This is a great lunch or easy dinner. French Rolls are found in the bread aisle and crisp up better than other breads. This recipe uses the hoagie sized roll. Very tasty! I believe that the people of Castroville, CA get credit for this one!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Thinly slice mushrooms, onion, tomato and set aside in separate piles.
- Drain artichoke hearts, but reserve liquid.
- Coarsely chop artichoke hearts.
- Split french rolls.
- Take artichoke liquid and brush the sides of the bread.
- On the bottom piece of bread put one quarter of the artichokes.
- Next add 1/4 of the mushrooms, onions, and then tomato to each sandwich.
- Top the veggies with 2 slices of provolone per sandwich.
- Sprinkle desired amount of crushed red pepper on top of the cheese and then place top on sandwich. Press down on sandwich slightly so that it does not fall over.
- Place on baking pan to bake. This generally takes 10 minutes. Watch closely!