1/1 Photo of Easy Bisquick & Buttermilk Chicken Pot Pie
This is heavenly beyond words! And so easy. It's from Kitchen Life, by Art Smith (who happens to be Oprah's private chef). Please note that I've slightly changed the recipe, adding more herbs and spices and more crust, because crust ROCKS. Also, please note that it's easy to simplify the recipe if even a little chopping seems like too much hassle. Simply replace the chicken breasts with already cooked chicken (from a can or from a deli) and, instead of chopping fresh vegetables, throw in some more frozen ones. It'll still be good, I promise!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- poultry seasoning, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (margarine will work, too)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (find a mix of corn, green beans, and whole baby carrots if you can)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (fresh or dried)
- 2 1/2 cups Bisquick
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1Position a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken as you see fit, and add it to the skillet. Cook, stirring quite often, just until it turns opaque and loses its raw look, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- 3Add the butter to the skillet, and reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mixed vegetables and mix well. Add the broth and half-and-half, and bring to a boil, stirring up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the reserved chicken, thawed mixed vegetables, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Pour into an ungreased 2 1/2 to 3 quart round casserole, or, if you don't have one (like me!), pour into whatever casseroles you have.
- 5Mix the Bisquick and buttermilk to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Drop six large spoonfuls of the dough over the chicken mixture (or, if you're using two casseroles, make eight or nine smaller biscuits).
- 6Pop the casserole(s) in the oven, and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown.
- 7You're done!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Bisquick & Buttermilk Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 577.8
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 87.3 mg
- Sodium 765.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 30.2 g