1/2 Photos of Easy Beef Stew Baked in a Cast Iron Dutch Oven
4 hrs 20 mins
Secret Agent's Note:
This is in the oven right now and it smells so good, we can hardly wait for it to be done! No browning necessary. Company coming? Toss in another potato and carrot - this recipe is forgiving! Serve with Jelly Jar Biscuits, hot and buttered. My youngest brother would find out I was making this stew and biscuits and he would invite himself over and eat me out of house and home. His favorite way to eat this stew was on top of buttered biscuits. I think with a salad and dessert this would serve about 6 but around here I would say it serves 4. ***UPDATE*** This recipe is for a cast iron dutch oven with a heavy tight-fitting lid. I've made this a million times and have had left-over gravy for noodles, rice, etc. Make sure you don't bake at any higher temperature than 300* and you don't use corningware or any other casserole. The heavy cast iron Dutch oven with a lid will prevent almost all of the evaporation of liquid, kind of like a slow cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef cubes, lean
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (or six chunks)
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and chunked
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and quartered (or 1 - 1 1/2 cup pearl onions)
- 1 cup celery, chunked
- 1 cup rutabaga, peeled sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon parsley, flat leaf, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chives, snipped
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1Put all ingredients into the dutch oven and stir to mix.
- 2Cover and bake at 300* for 4 hours or until you are ready to eat.
- 3You can thicken the gravy with 1/4 cup of flour mixed into 1/2 cup of water - stir and cook until on top of the stove until it is thick enough for you. We like it just the way it comes out of the oven.
- 4Serve with hot buttered biscuits, Jelly Jar Biscuits .
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Beef Stew Baked in a Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Serving Size: 1 (538 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1473.5
- Calories from Fat 1098
- Total Fat 122.0 g
- Saturated Fat 50.4 g
- Cholesterol 169.0 mg
- Sodium 731.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning