Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
The original recipe I got from my friend Sherri Evans. I've added barley, and given the tomato paste option over ketchup-I couldnt bring myself to "squirt it in". Also the Chili Beef Soup is my idea.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef, browned
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn
- 4 packages beef bouillon
- 2 packages chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste (or 2 big squirts ketchup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen diced hash browns
- In a large pot add all the ingredients up to the tomato paste/ketchup.
- Give a good stir.
- Now add water to JUST cover and bring to a hard boil-turn down to a simmer, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every so often.
- Add hash browns, stir and in 5 minutes taste.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper or basil if needed.
- For Chili bean beef soup omit peas, barley, frozen corn (use canned sliced baby corn), 2 packages of the beef boullion, basil (offer red pepper flakes at the table).
- Don't bring to a hard boil, bring to an almost boil, reduce and simmer, follow the original recipe now-stirring gently so you dont mash the beans.
This was tasty and easy, everyone liked it. I used italian seasoned diced tomatoes and the ketchup! Added a large diced potato about half-way through, instead of frozen, it worked fine. I used the whole pound of ground beef and it was not too much. I used bouillon cubes, they were ok, canned broth might be better, though. A good soup to adjust to your tastes.