Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
This is an easy and delicious recipe for beef ragout. It cooks slowly and smells (and tastes) wonderful! You can serve over white rice, mashed potatoes or some pasta.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 lbs boneless round steak, trimmed of fat and cubed
- reserved tomato juice, plus water to make 1 cup
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups whole baby carrots
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained and juice reserved
- 1 medium green pepper, slivered
- seasoning salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Sauté onion and garlic in margarine in large frying pan until onion is soft and golden. Turn into ungreased 3 quart casserole.
- Add beef. Add tomato juice mixture, bay leaves and pepper. Stir. Cover. Bake in 325F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add next 6 ingredients. Stir. Cover. Bake for about 1 hour until beef is very tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Stir water into flour in small cup until smooth. Gradually stir into beef mixture. Cover. Bake for 15 minutes until bubbling and thickened.
- Makes 10 cups.
EASY & DELICIOUS!!We loved this dish, and it was so simple to throw together and then just let it cook! I love carrots and mushrooms, and this was a great one dish casserole with all my favorites in it! DH had his with white rice, and wanted more later when he was watching late night TV. Thanks Redsie, this one is a keeper for us!
This tast great and it is easy to make a good way to get ride of some left over veggies.