Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My husband doen't like Mexican food so when he works out of town I love to make this one. It makes a lot for leftovers too.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat (I use already cut it's easier)
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon canned diced jalapeno (more if you want it hotter)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons chopped dried onion (or real onion if you have it on hand)
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth (you can use chicken broth or water also)
- 1 tablespoon flour (or more for thickening after it's cooked)
- serve on tortilla
- Put all ingredients except the flour in a 3 quart pot and bring to boil.
- After it boils reduce heat cover and simmer for 2 hrs stirring occasionally making sure you don't run out of liquid.
- Remove from heat add the flour and mix well add more if you want it thicker.
This was fabulous! First of all it doesn't get much simpler, I even used fresh onion and garlic (I used garlic granules too) and it was still quick and easy. I subbed 1 1/2 chipotle chili for the jalapeno this added a great flavor without being too spicy. I didn't have to add any flour at the end there was little liquid and the meat was nice and juicey My batch took about 3 hours to get tender, but I made this one evening to serve the next so the time wasn't too big a deal. I served this over jasmine rice with corn, shredded jack cheese and a little sour cream on top along with a nice cold bottle of German lager, yum! The flavors are so great together, our oldest son was over for dinner and he wants the recipe now! The next time I may try cooking this in the oven so I won't even have to worry about stirring. Made for The Best of 2010 Tag.
Oh this was so good! I used fresh onions and garlic for added flavor! this was just spicy enough and I wil add black beans to it next time. I made this for Spring PAC 2010, thanks!
Wonderful! I did use fresh garlic and onion but other than that I followed the directions which are quite easy. We used the meat for tostadas with refried beans and all the trimmings. Yummo! Made two batches of rice to serve along with them...M-M-M- Good Mexican Rice#318960 (cut this one in half) and Sorta-Spanish Rice#219944, and Tangy Guacamole#380918 to top them with. Thank you. Made for SPRING PAC 2010.