1/1 Photo of Easy Beef Curry
1 hr 30 mins
Halcyon Eve's Note:
The beef curry I make is kind of a mix between Indian curry and Thai curry. It sounds a little odd, but we absolutely love it! It reheats well, too, and it can be made ahead and kept hot in a crock pot. It is a very saucy curry; if you don't like a lot of sauce, then cut back to one can of coconut milk. The toppings are only suggestions--pick and choose what you like or try something new!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 -3 lbs beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 -4 tablespoons Madras curry powder (we prefer Green Ship brand, which we buy at the local Indian market)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk (light or regular, but not coconut cream)
- hot jasmine rice (or whatever kind of rice you like) or basmati rice (or whatever kind of rice you like)
- 1In a large, deep skillet or chef's pan, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Saute onions until tender. Add curry powder, toss to coat, and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- 2Add beef and brown 3-4 minutes, scraping pan often. If curry powder sticks to bottom, add a little water to deglaze whenever needed to prevent scorching.
- 3Add about 1 pint of water and mix in, scraping any bits off the bottom of the pan in the process. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until most of the water has cooked off.
- 4Remove from heat and stir in both cans of coconut milk. Return to heat and heat over medium-low heat until just beginning to simmer.
- 5Serve in bowls over rice, with desired toppings.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Beef Curry
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.6
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.7 g
- Saturated Fat 28.5 g
- Cholesterol 92.2 mg
- Sodium 147.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 36.9 g