Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is pretty easy and uses just one skillet. Cut beef into smaller pieces if you like. I eat mine with white rice AND chow mein noodles (I’m a carb freak).
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 (14 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby sweet corn cobs, drained and cut in half (whole spears)
- 1 (5 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef; cook until browned.
- Add beef broth, soy sauce, ginger and mustard; mix well.
- Lower heat.
- Add fresh vegetables; cover. Simmer for 1 hour (more or less, depending on the quality of the beef).
- Add canned vegetables; recover. Simmer for a half hour.
- If necessary, use cornstarch to thicken (mix with water in a separate bowl and add to chop suey a little at a time).
- Serve with white rice or chow mein noodles.