Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a no-brainer. You can add more heat or more sweet - easy to adapt. Great on ribs and chicken. It was in a cookbook I bought for my daughter when she went off to College.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until just softened.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes or so until desired thickness is achieved.
- Add extra chili powder or hot sauce to taste.
This is a very tasty and easy sauce (as advertised!) I made a few small alterations - double the chili powder and only 2 Tbsp water instead of 1 cup so it would be super thick (I still cooked for 20 minutes, on low heat). Also, for added depth and slightly less sweetness, I used dark brown sugar and dark molasses. This will be made again when I need a quick BBQ sauce. Thanks for sharing!