Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy to make cobbler that can be made with whatever fresh fruit is in season-sliced peaches or nectarines, or whole strawberries,raspberries, blackberries, or a combination of berries. A 12 ounce bag of frozen mixed berries may also be used, but in my opinion, fresh is better! Serve warm or at room temperaure with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Originally from a Sunday USA Weekend magazine.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups fruit, of choice (Heaping)
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position, and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put butter in an 8-inch square or a 9-inch round pan, set in oven to melt.When butter has melted, remove pan from oven.
- Whisk flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Add milk and whisk to form a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into buttered pan, then scatter with the fruit or berries.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake until batter browns and fruit bubbles, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This is very similar to a cobbler recipe I use all of the time. I used super ripe nectarines and it was great! The batter is cakey and gooey at the same time and it is perfectly sweet. I had a bit of vanilla ice cream with it--fantastic!