1/2 Photos of Easy Batter Bread
1 hr 5 mins
Posted in reply to a message board request. This is the recipe I used (over 40 years ago) when I made my first loaf of yeast bread. Its very simple to make, and produces a good, basic white bread for sandwiches and/or toast. If memory serves, the recipe was from the side of the Hecker's Unbleached Flour sack. Prep Time does not include the 1 to 2 hour rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 2Stir sugar into yeast/water mixture, let mixture sit until tiny bubbles start to form.
- 3Add butter, salt and half the flour.
- 4With electric mixer on medium speed, beat batter for 2 minutes.
- 5Add remaining flour, stirring by hand (or on low speed) until well blended and smooth (batter will be very thick, like a very soft dough).
- 6Cover bowl with a tea towel, and let the batter rise in a warm draft free place for 30-60 minutes or until doubled.
- 7Beat the batter by hand, about 25 strokes (the dough will deflate).
- 8Spread batter evenly into a greased 8x3 or 9x4 inch loaf pan.
- 9Smooth out the top of the loaf by patting it with your floured hand.
- 10Cover pan, and let batter rise again (about 30-60 minutes) until dough has reached the top of the pan.
- 11Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when the top is lightly tapped.
- 12Remove from pan.
- 13For a softer crust, brush the top of the hot loaf with butter.
- 14Cool on a wire rack.
- 15Bread slices best when it is cooled.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Batter Bread
Serving Size: 1 (743 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1687.0
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 4671.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 314.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 26.2 g
- Protein 41.6 g