Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick and simple recipe for a classic alfredo sauce with a twist. This uses the traditional butter and parmesan recipe without added cream. The use of pasta water creates the smooth sauce texture. Excellent alongside grilled marinated chicken or shrimp.
- 16 ounces fettuccine
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups grated parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano is the classic)
- 1⁄2 cup pasta water (reserved during the cooking of the pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- salt and pepper
- 6 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1. Using a food processor, finely chop the 1/2 cup of basil leaves until the consistency of pesto.
- 2. Cook pasta until al dente in salted water according to package directions.
- 3. While pasta is cooking, melt butter on medium-low heat in a large saucepan - do not allow to boil or the butter will separate.
- 4. When butter is melted, measure out 1/2 cup of water from the cooking pasta and add to the butter.
- 5. Gently stir in the grated parmesan until thoroughly melted.
- 6 Stir the basil from the food processor into the sauce.
- 7. Add additional pasta water as needed to obtain a smooth consistency.
- 8. Drain the pasta and immediately add to the sauce pan, gently tossing the pasta until coated.
- 9. Transfer pasta and sauce to a warm serving platter.
- 10. Top with the chopped basil leaves and serve immediately.