Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is originally from the Betty Crocker cookbook. My 3rd and 4th grade daughters are learning to cook and this is simple enough for them, but turns out well enough to serve to guests. (When they use this recipe, they usually sub 1/4-1/2 tsp onion powder for the chopped onion.) It's also a very versatile recipe: sometimes we also add other spices -- oregano, basil, thyme for Italian food or cinnamon and mint for Greek food.) We always oven-bake these, though there are also pan-fry and microwave options in the cookbook that we've not tried. Also good to cook ahead and freeze for later use.
- Combine all ingredients and shape into 20-24 meatballs (1 to 1-1/2 inches each).
- To oven bake: Place in ungreased 9x13 pan (you may want to line it with foil for easier clean-up).
- Bake 20-25 min or until light brown and cooked through; turn meatballs halfway through, if desired, to help maintain a round shape.
- To pan fry: Cook in skillet on medium heat, turning as needed, until brown (approx 20 min).
- To microwave: Place in micro-proof 12x7 pan and cover loosely.
- Micro on high for 3 minutes; rearrange meatballs.
- Cover again loosely and micro until brown inside, approx 5-7 min more.
- Let stand covered for 3 minutes.
Just made them they are awesome!!
Would help to have the oven temperature on this. I'll try it at 400.
These are the best meatballs I ever made. I used 1 tbsp dried minced onions instead of reg. onion. After I baked them I simmered them in my sauce. I also used Italian bread crumbs. Try them they are great.