Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This heavenly version of banoffee pie is ridiculously easy to make. Although the preparation time is very long, most of that time involves the condensed milk caramelising in the pan without your supervision. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 ready-made graham cracker pie crust (or make your own crust for a pie about 25cm across)
- 1 (400 ml) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 bananas
- 300 ml cream
- hot chocolate powder or cocoa, for dusting
- Place the UNopened can of condensed milk (don't open the can!) in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring the water to the boil then reduce slightly and let the can boil covered for 2 1/2 or 3 hours (if you're patient enough to wait for 3 hours it is better).
- IMPORTANT- Don't ever let the saucepan boil dry.
- Keep checking up on it and adding water if necessary.
- Remove the can and wait a few minutes before opening it very carefully in the sink.
- The condensed milk will look like creamy brown caramel.
- Stir the caramel in the can with a fork to remove any lumps, then pour into your pie crust and let it cool, then refrigerate till cold.
- Slice bananas thinly and lay them on top of the toffee filling.
- Whip the cream and spread it over the bananas.
- I usually just cover the bananas, but if you like more cream, spread it as thickly as you want.
- Dust the cocoa or powdered drinking chocolate on top for effect, using a sieve.
- Serve in thin slices with coffee.
This recipe was a hit at New Years! I used Dulce leche (caramel in a can) and it saved hours of prep time! I will absolutely make it again!thanks!
For safetys sake: One should not leave an unopened can boiling. Alternate carmalization options can be found on zaar.
Always wanted this recipe after tasting Banoffee Pie several times in UK. Finally made it for family Xmas dinner yesterday. Wow! Yummy! I used a large pie dish, graham cracker crumbs, 2 layers of banana (3 bananas), one layer under the toffee and one over it. We really like bananas! A whole pint of fresh double cream whipped with vanilla and maple syrup. I boiled 2 cans scm and only needed one so will definitely be making it again before the week is out.