Recipe by David R. Harris
Easy, melt in your mouth banana bread packed full of nuts. Applesauce is substituted for butter and sugar to make for a slightly healthier indulgence. You can use frozen bananas (thaw for 15 mins, squeeze out bananas), or replace yogurt with sour cream.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 bananas, overripe, mashed
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped or 1 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan. Optionally, dust it with cinnamon sugar or just sugar.
- Cream together butter, sugar and applesauce. Mix in eggs, vanilla, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Quickly combine flour, soda, and salt, without overstirring.
- Fold the yogurt, bananas, and nuts into the mixture. Mixture should have the consistency of thick cake batter; add a small amount of flour or milk if required.
- Pour mixture into greased loaf pan. Optionally sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until tester comes out clean.