Prep 15 mins
Cook 34 mins
Found this recipe in a very old church cook book. It's the favorite of my grandchildren. I bake it often. It's very easy. I usually frost it with a sour cream frosting, but if this is too sweet for your taste a thin butter icing would work well. A very light cake.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (2-3 med.)
- 1⁄3 cup nuts (optional)
- Stir baking soda into mix before adding liquid.
- Add water, eggs and mashed bananas.
- Mix at medium speed until blended, then on high for two minutes.
- Fold in nuts if desired.
- Pour into 9 x 13 greased cake pan.
- Bake at 350 deg. for 34 - 38 minutes.
This is just as good as the scratch cake version I make. I added 1/2 c. coconut and iced with cream cheese icing. Family and friends loved it and could not believe it was a cake mix.
I tried this recipe and compared it to the one I make that has less ingredients and did not like it as much. Mine uses a white cake mix, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp. baking soda and three eggs along with the bananas and nuts. I am not fond of yellow cake mix.