Recipe by mcleod
Simplify prep time by adding broccoli florets to the same pot as the rice during the last 3 min of cooking. Substitute the grilled pepper for 1/2 cup chopped, jarred roasted red pepper.
Top Review by Lalaloula
This recipe makes for a nice, fresh and yummy rice salad that is also very satisfying. I really enjoyed the broccoli, chickpeas and red pepper in this (I used a fresh unroasted one, though) and the balsamic vinaigrette. However I would have liked a little more seasoning in this, some garlic maybe and red pepper flakes. Just a little more oomph...
Ill make this again and experiment with different seasonings. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, mcleod!
Made and reviewed for PAC Fall 2011.
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt & pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds or 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat grill to medium-high heat. Place pepper directly on grill. Cook, turing as needed for 15 minute or until charred. put in bowl cover. remove skin and seeds chop pepper into pieces
- Toss rice, broccoli, chickpeas, chopped pepper and dressing. season with salt and pepper top with almonds.
- Serve warm or cold.