Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was given to me years ago by a friend who was known as the "go to person" for desserts at work. It does takes some short cuts & purists may not like that. But it sure does taste good & it is SO much easier than traditional baklava. I prefer this recipe to the ones with honey.
- 1 box phyllo dough, thawed
- 236.59 ml butter, melted
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml water
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 236.59 ml finely chopped walnuts
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- Place 1 cup sugar, water,& lemon juice in a pan& bring to boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lay out phyllo dough, cut in half& trim to fit a 9 by 13" pan.
- Place 1/2 of dough in pan.
- Combine filling ingredients, and spread over phyllo dough.
- Cover with 2nd half of dough.
- With a serrated knife, cut into triangles.
- Drizzle evenly with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for appproximately 30 minutes, till golden brown.
- Remove from oven& pour cooled syrup over hot baklava.
This couldn't have been easier to put together. I used other reviewers' suggestion to divide the phyllo dough into 3 different layers instead of 2. I then divided the filling between the layers. The baklava was delicious and very authentic tasting. If I made it again, I might double the filling as well. It doesn't need it, but it would make it even yummier!
Loves it! I made this today as a gift to send out. I used 2 cups of walnuts and divided the phyllo dough into three parts instead of two. I added Orange Blossom water to the syrup mixture. Delicious! Thank you :)
I had Baklava growing up every Christmas, my uncle made the long, time-consuming, overwhelming recipe. I NEVER thought I would be able to re-create a comparable version and here it is!!! I burn water and I made this and everyone LOVED it!! Yeah. Thank you!