This recipe was given to me years ago by a friend who was known as the "go to person" for desserts at work. It does takes some short cuts & purists may not like that. But it sure does taste good & it is SO much easier than traditional baklava. I prefer this recipe to the ones with honey.
- Place 1 cup sugar, water,& lemon juice in a pan& bring to boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lay out phyllo dough, cut in half& trim to fit a 9 by 13" pan.
- Place 1/2 of dough in pan.
- Combine filling ingredients, and spread over phyllo dough.
- Cover with 2nd half of dough.
- With a serrated knife, cut into triangles.
- Drizzle evenly with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for appproximately 30 minutes, till golden brown.
- Remove from oven& pour cooled syrup over hot baklava.