Recipe by Julie B's Hive
I love baklava and was thrilled when I found this recipe.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
I scaled this down to 10 servings, which basically gave me a little pan of baklava, that we quite easily got through last night. It could be because of the scaling, but I would have liked the cinnamon to have been a bit more 'there', and I also found I needed more butter. Thanks.
- 1 lb chopped mixed nuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Toss together cinnamon and nuts. Unroll phyllo and cut whole stack in half to fit the dish. Cover phyllo with a damp cloth while assembling the baklava, to keep it from drying out.
- Place two sheets of phyllo in the bottom of the prepared dish. Brush generously with butter. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of the nut mixture on top. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with about 6 sheets of phyllo. Using a sharp knife, cut baklava (all the way through to the bottom of the dish) into four long rows, then (nine times) diagonally to make 36 diamond shapes.
- Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes, until golden and crisp. While baklava is baking, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in honey, vanilla and lemon zest, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately spoon the syrup over it. Let cool completely before serving. Store uncovered.