Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted by request. I have always made a yeast version, which can be very time consuming. I think I will give this one a try. For lucre see Easter Babka.
- 1 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄8 teaspoon rum extract or 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract or 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a babka, bundt or angel food cake pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Resume beating while gradually the eggs alternating with the flour mixture.
- Add salt, extract and raisins and mix well.
- Place dough in prepared pan and bake 50-60 minutes (cooking time depends on the type of pan you use).
- Remove from pan when cool and dust with confectioner's sugar or glaze with lucre.
I am sorry to say it is the worst recipe I have ever made. The bread got really crusty and was very greasy. All you could taste was the butter and eggs.
Making babka with yeast is so time consuming, this way came out great and was half the time and effort. It was delicious! :) Not exactly the same but close enough, and great with coffee.
This is the worst recipe I ever made and tasted. All you could taste was the eggs. I will go back to making the old fashioned BABKA - the kind that Mom and Grandmom made. It only raised to about 3 inches. Yes, I did follow the directions. It went out in the trash, no one liked it. This is a no star. Sorry !!! Cioci Helcha