Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Just like the glaze you get on doughnuts at the bakeries and doughnut shops! Use food colouring to create different colours, then top with chocolate sprinkles or anything you desire, just make certain to sprinkle with the toppings before the glaze hardens. This will cover about 10-12 doughnuts. Purchase already-baked doughnuts from the bakery and glaze yourself if desired!
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 10 drops food coloring (any colour desired)
- 12 doughnuts (chocolate or plain)
- In a bowl combine the icing sugar with corn syrup, hot water and food colouring (for a thicker icing add in more icing sugar until desired consistency) mix until well combined.
- Dip tops of doughnuts in the coloured icing, then immediately sprinkle with desired toppings (if using).
- Place on a wire rack to set.
For my first attempt making homemade donuts, I used this glaze with bread machine dough Bread Machine Donuts and was very pleased with the results. This glaze was super quick and easy to make, and I had all the ingredients on hand. I found I had to add an additional 1 t. hot water to get the desired consistency, and it did cover 12 donuts, like it stated. I made two batches of the glaze, one as written and for the second I stirred in about 2 T. melted semi-sweet chocolate chips. This made the texture thicker, and I think I had to add a little more hot water. Yummy!
Good! I added 3/4 t cherry extract and used on six baked doughnuts as more of an icing than a glaze. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I added some cocoa powder to make a fantastic chocolate glaze. Great recipe.