Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe I found at RecipeSource.com and altered to suit my tastes. The sauce adds a lot of flavor to the tempeh. As it's thickening, you can adjust the spices to your liking. Good served over rice!
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce or 1⁄4 cup tamari
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Saute onion in oil till almost tender.
- Combine all ingredients, except tempeh, in a pan and cook till slightly thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix in tempeh and transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or till completely heated through.
This is great when you need have some tempeh and can't be bothered making anything too difficult. My toddler loves anything covered in tomato sauce and tempeh contains all the amino acids. Making the sauce is quite quick - I turned the heat up and managed to save some time. And waiting for the tempeh to bake gave me enough time to go check Zaar for tomorrow's meal! Good recipe Yogi!
I just recently learned that tempeh can actually taste good if you bake it. I cut a slab into 6 triangular pieces and baked in the sauce, covered. I uploaded a photo (how was there not already one on here?). Really great, easy recipe. Thanks Yogi!
Amazing! This has a spicy BBQ flavor to it and I cannot get enough! Thanks so much for this yumminess!