Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the most easiest pasta dish to make and is so good! make certain to "undercook" the rigatoni pasta, only cook until just firm-tender as it will cook more in the oven, or you can use penne pasta in place of rigatoni. I have even made this with cooked coarsley chopped bacon in place of ham for a smokey flavor.
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 4 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups canned sliced mushrooms, well drained
- 1 1⁄4 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release the flavors)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream (unwhipped)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water with 2-3 tablespoons salt until JUST firm-tender; drain and then place in the baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together ham, tomatoes, drained mushrooms, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese and thyme.
- Pour the cream over and mix to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese on top if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir the pasta to coat with the cheeses; cover and place bake in oven for about 30 minutes longer.
I did a half batch of this using a mixture of ham & bacon. I used vegeroni noodles, canned tomatoes, fresh mushrooms and also added some diced zucchini. It was quite rich & creamy so I also added some tomato paste to taste. Super cheesy, great comfort food.