Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
Fast and very, very easy.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 2 cups large curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 14 manicotti
- Sauté 1 large chopped onion and 1 (seeded and chopped) sweet red bell pepper in 3 tablespoons olive or salad oil until tender.
- Mix 2 cloves (minced or pressed) garlic, 1 (28 ounces) tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes,uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. until sauce is reduced to about 1 quart.
- If I am in a real hurry I just use 1 (26 ounce) Hunts garlic and herb spaghetti sauce for the bottom and 1 (26 ounce) Hunts garlic and herb spaghetti sauce on the top.
- Spoon 1 cup of the tomato sauce into a greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Cook ground beef.
- Mix ground beef, parsley, onions, salt, herbs, cottage cheese, cheese and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Put about 1/4 cup of the meat mixture into uncooked manicotti shells.
- Place shells in baking dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce evenly over them.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil (refrigerate, if made ahead).
- Bake at 350°F until manicotti are tender about 1 1/4 hours (about 1 1/2 hours if refrigerated).
- Uncover bake 5 minutes to brown lightly.
- Serve sprinkled with additional parmesan cheese.