Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I first had this at a friend's house for dinner and loved it. I asked her for the recipe and could not believe it when she said it had mayonnaise in it! She said her Great Aunt made it this way all her life. I never would have posted this recipe because I don't really care for mayonnaise but in this dish it reigns supreme! You've got to try it! I usually use penne pasta and I love adding cayenne, to taste, to the mayo before mixing it in with the pasta.
- 1 lb pasta noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Butter or spray a casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss the pasta with the mayonnaise, milk, mustard and cheese.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Pour into the casserole dish and top evenly with the breadcrumbs.
- *If you like a real crunchy top, use more breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbling hot.
While Buddha didn't care for the taste of this mac & cheese recipe, I thought it was fantastic. It was also super easy to put together. I made as directed but added about 1/2 cup of extra cheese, cubed small. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)