Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a family favorite that I learned from my Mom. It has been passed down and I am sure it has changed over the years, but everyone that has it loves it. I use it anytime I need a nice side dish in a pinch!! The left overs reheat nicely and never stick around more than a day or so! I tend to cook by sight, so I did my best to approximate the measurements. I like to make this with fried chicken, grilled salmon, pork roast,etc with a fresh salad or veggie. It really is a versatile dish that leaves you free to tend to your main dish or dessert prep!!
- 1 (12 ounce) bag elbow macaroni
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 (8 ounce) bagshredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) bagshredded four cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion (walla walla or vidalia if available)
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Bring water to boil, then add pasta. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes (as directed on package).
- While macaroni cooks, chop onions to desired consistency.
- Drain pasta and rinse with hot water.
- Place pasta back into pot with 2 tbsp butter and stir to cover so pasta does not stick.
- Stir in onions and cheese.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and stir until nicely mixed.
- Add garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
- Scoop mixture into covered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes, then check for desired bubbliness. ;).
I was really excited to try this recipe because of all the great reviews. Wow was I disappointed! It's not horrible but it is very very bland. I think Kraft's boxed mac and cheese has more of a cheese taste than this recipe had. Don't waste your time, definitely not worth it.
I am lactose intolerant so this made me slightly ill just reading the recipe, lol!!! But I made it along with a ham today for a group of friends and everyone raved about it and asked for the recipe, so I'm giving it 5 stars!! I used a little dehydrated onion flakes instead of actual onion for sake of time and used all shredded colby jack. I will definitely make this for DH with some shredded chicken and corn in it for him to heat up the next time I go out of town - he said he ate so much he almost made himself sick on it :)
I really enjoy surprising DH, in a good way, of course. I had this in the oven when he returned from DS's soccer practice last night, and he professed his doubts about it, stating 'It's hard to beat that 'delux' blue box.' OH, THE HORROR! (he grew up on that...not me.) Anyway, MommyDiva's mac-n-cheese made a believer out of him! We really enjoyed this although I reduced the recipe by half, as there were only 2 of us eating it, at the time. I surely won't mind the leftovers! Thanks so much for sharing, Mommy Diva!