This is a family favorite that I learned from my Mom. It has been passed down and I am sure it has changed over the years, but everyone that has it loves it. I use it anytime I need a nice side dish in a pinch!! The left overs reheat nicely and never stick around more than a day or so! I tend to cook by sight, so I did my best to approximate the measurements. I like to make this with fried chicken, grilled salmon, pork roast,etc with a fresh salad or veggie. It really is a versatile dish that leaves you free to tend to your main dish or dessert prep!!
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Bring water to boil, then add pasta. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes (as directed on package).
- While macaroni cooks, chop onions to desired consistency.
- Drain pasta and rinse with hot water.
- Place pasta back into pot with 2 tbsp butter and stir to cover so pasta does not stick.
- Stir in onions and cheese.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and stir until nicely mixed.
- Add garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
- Scoop mixture into covered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes, then check for desired bubbliness. ;).