Recipe by Leith D.
A great way to cook corned beef without having to watch a pot. A family favorite; I always make extra for sandwiches.
- 5 lbs corned beef
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare a Dutch oven or a roasting pan with a lid by spraying with non-stick spray. If you don't have a pan with a lid heavy duty foil can be used.
- Rinse corned beef in cold water to remove some of the salty taste, and reserve pickling spice packet. Place corned beef in pan, and spread pickling spices on and around the roast.
- Add apple juice to the bottom of the pan until it comes up halfway up the side of the corned beef.
- Cover tightly with lid (or foil) and bake for 4 hours.
- Mix the ketchup and mustard together, remove corned beef from oven and carefully remove the lid. Spread ketchup mix on top, and return to the oven on broil for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed cabbage or carrots.