Recipe by ~SarahBeth~
This is the way we like our chicken parmesan -- I get rave reviews everytime I serve it and always get asked for the recipe! It is a really easy recipe -- but you do need to do some of your prep the morning (or night before) you plan to serve it. Also, to shroten time, use already prepared marinara sauce. We don't like the way it tastes, so I always make mine at home, but if you like it, I think it would be just fine. Or a lot of the time, I make a huge batch of the marinara sauce and keep it in the fridge so I have it handy for this recipe, pizza or spaghetti. So you could make it the night before and then just bring it to room temp before cooking. The list of ingredients looks long (and I guess it is) but this is a really simple dish to prepare.
Top Review by Kathlene D.
This is a great "family" meal - great with the kids; if it were just me and the husband, might be a little too much/rich, as chicken parmesan usually is! But we all need comfort food once in awhile and this hits the spot! I serve over pasta. Only suggestion is to start the sauce earlier as it is better the longer it cooks - doing it the night before is probably the way to go. Can't get all the flavor in the amount of cooking time. Thumbs up!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle light Italian dressing
- 1⁄2 cup light ranch salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons minced garlic, divided (I used the pre-minced stuff from the jar)
- 2 1⁄4 cups shredded parmesan cheese, divided (not the stuff in the green jar)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped white onion (mild in flavor)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons dried basil, divided
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% mozzarella cheese, grated
- The morning or the night before serving, combine italian dressing, ranch dressing, 3 tablespoons minced garlic and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large zip lock bag. Squish bag around to combine all ingredients. Add chicken breasts to bag, close and squish until they are well coated in the dressing mixture. Put the bag in bowl (to prevent spills) and refrigerate all day or overnight up 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, Preheat oven to 400*F. Then mix 2 cups parmesan cheese, with parsley, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the basil and oregano (each).
- Spray a large baking dish (big enough for all six breasts) with olive oil cooking spray.
- Remove chicken from baggie one by one and "dredge" in the cheese and spice mixture, until thoroughly coated in cheese mixture. Then place chicken in a single layer in the dish.
- When all chicken is coated, place chicken in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes (or until the internal temp is 155*F).
- While chicken bakes, in a large non stick sauce pan, make the sauce.
- Spray sauce pan with olive oil cooking spray (or use 1 tablespoon olive oil but do not use another flavor spray). Then saute onions and remaining garlic until tender and onions are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and tomato sauce to garlic and onions. Stir until smooth. Then add the remaining, oregano and basil and the other spices including the bay leaf. (At this point if sauce looks to thick for your liking add 1 tomato sauce can of water) Allow to simmer for the remainder of the baking time until you need it.
- When chicken has baked 20 minutes, remove from oven and top each breast with sauce (to your liking, we cover the whole thing) then top with 1/4 cup of mozarella cheese (again to your liking) put baking dish back into the oven for 10 more minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Then switch your broiler on to brown cheese (optional).
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Serve it up, I have never had anyone not finish this!