Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a great dish to make for guests as it is best cooked the day before. Prep and cook times are approximate and don't include the overnight stay in the fridge.
- 4 lbs boneless beef brisket (NOT corned beef)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 medium onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch chunks
- French roll
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place brisket, fat side up, in a 9x13-inch roasting pan; season with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Place sliced onions on top of meat and bake for 1 hour or until the onions have browned on their edges; add water, soup mix, carrots and celery and cover with foil to form a tight seal.
- Reduce oven to 300° and continue to cook until meat is fork-tender, about 3 hours.
- Remove from oven; separate meat from sauce and refrigerate both overnight.
- The next day, remove visible fat from meat and discard; thinly slice meat across the grain.
- Remove fat from gravy and discard; place gravy and vegetables in a large, deep skillet over low heat; add sliced meat and gently heat through.
- Serve sliced meat with au jus on French rolls.