Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Great baked bean--tastes like you made them from strach, but no one will know--if you don't tell them.
Top Review by Glittergirl
I made this today and they are excellent! I had the recipe scaled down for 4 cooked them as per recipe for 8, they were wonderful. Tastes as tho you really cooked these for hours, great recipe and simple to boot. I also used very cheap generic brand and you would never know I didn;t use the best brand available.Fabulous!
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1⁄2 lb brown sugar (1/2 box)
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 (1 lb) package bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the pan of bacon; remove the bacon and set aside.
- Keep 3 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the pan and sauté the onion until soft. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes more. Cook beans in pot until well heated.
- Add all the ingredients to the beans, including the bacon grease, onion and garlic mixture.
- Blend well.
- Pour into 21/2 quart baking dish, or bean pot.
- Add the bacon strips to the top. Place in oven and bake at 450°F for 30 to 40 minutes. If the beans look like they have to much liquid, it is okay--it will thicken as it sits.