Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe has an all-day taste without the all-day cooking time. I got this yummy recipe from a friend after he brought these beans to a BBQ and everyone devoured them. I bake them in my cast iron dutch oven and they turn out heavenly! This makes a big batch of beans so it's great for a big gathering. The servings I've listed is a guess.
- 1 lb bacon, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (28 ounce) cans baked beans (i.e. Bush's)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce (i.e. Heinz)
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons dried basil or 3 tablespoons dried oregano (or combo of both)
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- In large skillet, saute bacon over medium-high heat until brown and crispy.
- Add onions and continue cooking until onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Scrape bacon/onion mixture into a dutch oven or oven-proof casserole and add remaining ingredients.
- Stir to blend.
- Bake at 350 uncovered, 45 minutes or until thick.