Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Source: More Make-A-Mix Cookery by Eliason, Harward, and Westover
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda and brown sugar; stir.
- to blend.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles corn meal.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup mixture into each of 8 small containers or Ziploc bags. Seal bags tightly. Label with date and contents. Store in a cool dry place. Use within 12 weeks.
- Makes 8 packages Children's Cookie Mix.
- Each package makes about 9 cookies.
- To use: In a small bowl, combine 1 package cookie mix, 2 teaspoons water, 1 tablespoon raisins, and 1 tablespoon mini semi-sweet chocolate morsels. Stir with a spoon until mixture holds together in one big ball. Shape one teaspoon of dough at a time into a ball and arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet. Butter the bottom of a small drinking glass. Dip buttered glass bottom in sugar and flatten each ball by pressing with sugar-coated glass. Bake according to manufacturer's directions in child's play oven or 10 to 12 minutes in Mom's oven (preheated to 350). Remove from oven and cool on a rack.