Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Source: More Make-A-Mix Cookery by Eliason, Harward, and Westover
Make and share this Easy-Bake Oven Children's Flavored or White Cake Mix recipe from Food.com.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and drink powder; stir with a wire wisk until blended.
- With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed and mixture resembles corn meal.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of mix into each of 10 small containers or Ziploc bags.
- Seal containers tightly and label with date and contents. Store in a cool, dry place.
- Use within 12 weeks.
- Makes 10 packages Children's Lemon Cake Mix.
- To use: If using child's play oven, follow manufacturer's directions for baking cakes or preheat Mom's oven to 375. Grease and flour a 4-inch miniature cake pan. In a small bowl, combine 1 package cake mix and 4 teaspoons water. Stir with a fork or spoon until blended and smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake 12 to 13 minutes in Mom's oven or as directed in play oven. Remove from oven. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a small plate; remove pan. When cool frost with Children's White Frosting if desired. Serves 2 children.
- Note: For a white cake mix, omit the Kool-Aid and add a drop or two of vanilla at the time the cake is prepared.
This recipe turned out really well. I like the option of changing the flavours (btw, I think you meant to put lemon Kool-aid). I didn't have shortening, so I used butter and stored the finished mix in the fridge. My daughter loves having these on hand.
I love the convenience of a big batch of mix. I used a couple tablespoons of lemon pudding mix since I didn't have any Kool-Aid. I also wouldn't hesitate to put your vanilla flavoring in when you make the mix, and next time, I'm also going to put a little bit of butter flavoring in too. This is a great, economical and fun place to start for a cake mix that can provide hours of entertainment!