Recipe by spatchcock
This is an adopted recipe that looks wonderful, but I haven't actually tried it myself. The OP had this to say: "What could be more yummy for a luncheon or casual dinner than a grilled Panini sandwich? Super elegant and tasty artichoke filling gives this sandwich great flavor and color! My family and friends rave every time we make these. I invite everyone over and we have a Panini Grilling party, make your own...kids get in on the act too and love it!"
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, drained and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 3 -5 drops balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy skillet, over very low heat and cook onion for 30 minutes, or until soft, translucent and almost melting.
- Stir in sliced artichoke hearts and cool over low heat for 3-5 minutes more.
- Add salt (to taste, if needed) and let cool slightly.
- Puree the mixture in blender or food processor.
- Add just enough balsamic vinegar to bring out the taste of the artichokes and process briefly to mix well.