Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Mu husband grew up in Reading, PA and Rochester, NY but now lives in Arizona with me. He is always complaining that nobody knows how to make a real cheese steak. However, I made this and he says "I hit it on the nose."
- Sauté green peppers in 2 teaspoons of olive oil until tender and slightly browned. Remove from pan.
- Sauté onion in remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil until tender and slightly browned.
- Add green peppers and roast beef to pan.
- Cook until beef is heated thoroughly and no longer "pink" while chopping it into smaller pieces with a firm spatula. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut one side, lengthwise and both sides widthwise of each bun to make open-face type opening.
- Lay two slices of cheese across each bun to cover both sides (so it lays flush with the sides of the bun, top and bottom.).
- Stuff each bun with meat mixture in between the cheese slices.
- Close rolls shut and wrap in tin foil.
- Place in preheated oven on cookie sheet for 5 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts.
- Reduce heat to low until ready to eat.
- If you like it with marinara sauce or whatever your choice of condiment is, drizzle on before you eat!
It's not "authentic" unless you use the correct ingredients. Your ingredients are correct, except that you should use Provolone Cheese & not American.
Superb! Used provolone of course. Took about 15 minutes in the oven to heat through. Will make again soon! I sauteed the peppers and onion for awhile in olive oil. Made them very sweet and tender.
This was fantastic and super easy to make. We'll definitely be adding this to our list of quick meals to make.