Recipe by bulgarican
Mu husband grew up in Reading, PA and Rochester, NY but now lives in Arizona with me. He is always complaining that nobody knows how to make a real cheese steak. However, I made this and he says "I hit it on the nose."
- 6 hoagie rolls (hard or firm type)
- 1 lb deli roast beef, Boar's Head Oven Roasted, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lb white American cheese, Boar's Head, 12 slices
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté green peppers in 2 teaspoons of olive oil until tender and slightly browned. Remove from pan.
- Sauté onion in remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil until tender and slightly browned.
- Add green peppers and roast beef to pan.
- Cook until beef is heated thoroughly and no longer "pink" while chopping it into smaller pieces with a firm spatula. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut one side, lengthwise and both sides widthwise of each bun to make open-face type opening.
- Lay two slices of cheese across each bun to cover both sides (so it lays flush with the sides of the bun, top and bottom.).
- Stuff each bun with meat mixture in between the cheese slices.
- Close rolls shut and wrap in tin foil.
- Place in preheated oven on cookie sheet for 5 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts.
- Reduce heat to low until ready to eat.
- If you like it with marinara sauce or whatever your choice of condiment is, drizzle on before you eat!