Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Easy, Authentic, Flavorful.........The spice's are listed as optional.
- 2 cups white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cubes (1 large or 2 small) or 1 pork bouillon cube (1 large or 2 small) or 1 vegetable bouillon cube (1 large or 2 small)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat water and bullion in separate pot or microwave to make broth.
- In separate saucepan add oil and brown rice until rice is golden brown color on medium/high heat.
- Add seasonings, garlic, and onion. Be sure to keep stirring rice so it does not burn.
- Add broth & tomato sauce. Boil for a second, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Fluff and garnish with fresh cilantro if you like.
- Also, if you have a small can of corn you can add that at the same time when adding broth and tomato sauce -- .
This came out great! I used all the seasoning it called for but no salt or pepper. My family loved it and it was pretty simple. It did take a little longer than called for though. I think it needed to simmer about 30min. Definitely will make again. I will also mention I'm not the most experienced cook and this really did taste like it came from a good restaurant.
This was very nice! It uses ingredients I always have on hand; however, I found it took closer to 45 minutes to make. I used a large, non-stick skillet. Just browning the 2 cups of rice at medium-high heat so as not to burn took almost 15 minutes. For the bouillon, I used Goya Jamon (Ham) boullion. I brought 3 cups of water to boil in a tea kettle, then poured that into a large glass Pyrex measuring cup to make the bouillon. I also used ALL the optional spices, which gave the rice a wonderful fragrance and very nice flavor. This yields, I would say, more like 8 to 10 servings as a side dish. Made for PAC Fall 2008. Thanks for a very tasty recipe, Chef Mandy in Newport Beach!
Perfect rice. My rice usually comes out mushy. This recipe was fantastic. I followed the directions exactly and had fluffy rice. I added chicken and sliced green bellpepper and the family ate it up!