Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very easy way to make creamy, cheesy potatoes. I used a wide baking dish. If using a taller narrower dish make 3 layers. You can vary the cheese. Last night I used a mixture of cheddar and mexican because I had a little of each left.
- 6 medium potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 onion, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk, warmed
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly butter a 2 quart baking dish.
- Layer 1/2 potatoes and onions. Sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoons flour over mixture. Dot with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread 1/2 of the cheese over all. Repeat with another layer ending with cheese.
- Pour warmed milk over all.
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 60 minutes or until potatoes are tender and sauce is bubbly. If cheese browns too quickly cover with foil.