Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
A rich, creamy sauce envelops sliced potatoes A very easy and delicious recipe with room for your own unique touches. This is my most requested dish at family get togethers. I don't like cheese very much, but I love these potatoes!
- 8 -10 peeled potatoes
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans Campbell's cheddar cheese soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and slice 1/8" thick. Keep slices in cold water until all are ready to parboil. (It will keep them from darkening) You will need enough to fill a 13x9x2 pan to within 1/2" from the top.
- Parboil potato slices until halfway cooked. Pour into colander to drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Lightly saute' the onions to flavor the butter. Add the cheddar cheese soup and pepper and stir to mix thoroughly. Stir in milk to thin the sauce a bit.
- Place potato slices in a large bowl, and pour sauce over them. Gently fold the sauce and potato slices together.
- Spread evenly in a greased or sprayed 13x9x2 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the top potatoes begin to brown around the edges.
- If you like, you can top these with bread crumbs or shredded cheese before baking. I occasionally throw in a cup or so of 1/2" ham cubes for extra flavor.
I did not like these as written. They will take quite a bit of doctoring. I halved the recipe using 4 russet potatoes. This just did not lend much flavor, and they were on the dry side.