Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Enjoy this hearty, healthy breakfast with a slice of whole-grain toast. This recipe works with the South Beach Diet plan and is high altitude tested.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 3 large asparagus spears, fresh
- 1 1⁄2 ounces smoked salmon, flaked (not lox but the meatier version, such as Chicken of the Sea vacuum packed smoked Alaskan salmon)
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon shredded parmesan cheese
- chives, snipped (for garnish) (optional)
- Heat small omelet pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until hot.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray and add butter. Heat until melted.
- Add onion and saute over medium heat 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- Cut asparagus into 1/2" pieces.
- Add asparagus and saute 2 minutes more, shaking or stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, combine whole egg, egg whites and water and mix thoroughly with a fork or whisk. Set aside.
- Add smoked salmon and heat 2 minutes.
- Push salmon/vegetable mixture to the sides of the pan and pour egg mixture into center of pan.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until egg sets at edges (about 4 minutes). Use a spatula to gently stir/flip egg mixture. Cook until egg is fully cooked, 4-5 minutes more.
- Sprinkle parmesan over all. Remove from heat and allow cheese to melt.
- Garnish with snipped chives, if desired.