Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These hors d'oeuvres are totally addictive, there flakey and so easy to prepare, these are the perfect party food, or make them for an evening snack, you won't be able to stop eating them, they are that good! The rolls can be fully prepared and wrapped, then refrigerated for up to 24 hours in advance to be baked later.
Top Review by AZ to AK
I have been making this recipe for years. I love them because there are so easy to prepare. I also make a vegetarian version by substituting sun dried tomatoes for the pepperoni and sprinkling a little marinated feta over the tomatoes before you roll them up. I like to serve these with a spicy red pepper dip.
- 1⁄2 cup grated asiago cheese, can use slightly more if desired
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- black pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (half of a 17.3-ounce package)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces packaged sliced pepperoni (about twenty-six 1-1/2-inch diameter slices)
- 1 large egg, slighty beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix together cheese, thyme, oregano and black pepper (I use about 1/4 teaspoon black pepper for this).
- Cut the puff pastry in half to form 2 rectangles.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over 1 puff pastry rectangle (leaving a 1-inch untouched border at the long edge).
- Place half of the pepperoni (13 slices) in a single layer on top of mustard.
- Top pepperoni with half of cheese mixture.
- Brush the untouched border with egg.
- Starting at side opposite the plain border, roll up pastry sealing at egg-coated edge.
- Transfer pastry roll (seam-side down) to a medium baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining pastry rectangle, mustard, pepperoni, cheese misture and egg.
- Chill rolls until firm (about 30-40 minutes) or you can wrap and refrigerate the rolls for up to 1 day.
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut each pastry roll into about 30 (1/4-inch thick slices).
- Transfer the pinwheels to prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until golden (about 15 minutes).
- Transfer to a platter and serve.