Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I remembered Mom making this salad when I was a teenager, so I recently asked her for the recipe. Between her memories and mine, this is what we came up with - it's great for picnics and potlucks and is very tasty. :)
- 1 box chicken rice-a-roni
- 1 box of fried rice w/ almonds Rice-A-Roni
- 2 jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained and liquid reserved
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 can sliced ripe black olives, drained (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained,cut in halves (about 1/3 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream or 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook the packages of rice according the the directions; let cool.
- Combine the cooked rice and remaining salad ingredients.
- Combine dressing ingredients (including the reserved liquid from the artichokes).
- Mix salad and dressing together and let chill in refrigerator for at least an hour before serving; when combined the salad will become a greenish color.
- You can substitute green olives for the black, if you prefer; salad is also good with chopped cooked chicken added!
Outstanding! You did your Mom proud! I used yogurt instead of sour cream because I thought it would lend itself to the tangy taste of the feta cheese and artichokes. It was a great luncheon salad with lots of great tastes, and it was very satisfying...even for the men. I did add smoked chicken to it, but it was only because men think they "have" to have meat. Next time I will leave it out because I don't think they will miss it. Thanks to you and your Mom for this great recipe.