Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an incredibly quick and tasty applesauce recipe. The unusual cooking method is both easier and yummier. Unlike stovetop applesauce recipes, this requires no added water so it's richer, and it is also impossible to burn!
- 4 apples
- 1 cinnamon sticks or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 dash lemon juice (optional)
- Peel, core, and coarsely chop the apples.
- Run apples through a blender until you have the desired consistency. I like mine slightly chunky. (Alternatively, you could finely chop the apples and not use the blender at all.).
- Pour into a heavy ceramic bowl that easily fits inside your rice cooker.
- Add sugar and lemon juice; stir together thoroughly.
- Place a cinnamon stick into the bowl of raw applesauce. Make sure that it is completely covered.
- Fill the metal bowl of your rice steamer so that the water is two inches high.
- Put the ceramic bowl filled with raw applesauce into the rice cooker. Cover and push the "cook" button.
- Walk away! Your rice steamer will do all the cooking, and no need to stir. The length of time it takes to cook probably varies according to your rice steamer, but I have the loveliest applesauce in about 10-15 minutes. Check back periodically and taste until it is done to your liking. Turn off the machine when it's done. You can leave the ceramic bowl in the rice cooker to cool, or remove it immediately with some tongs.
A very easy and tasty recipe. I love the fact that it's natural and can be sweetened to our taste. I have also used as a filling for hand pies, delicious!