This flavorful cake, made with spice cake mix and fresh apples, comes from the "Apple Lovers' Cookbook." If you use unsalted margarine, it's lactose-free.
- Blend half a package (approximately 2 1/4 cups) cake mix, water, and egg in a mixing bowl.
- Beat at medium speed until batter is smooth.
- Pour half the batter into a greased 9" square pan.
- Combine remaining cake mix with cinnamon; add melted butter (or margarine) and vanilla.
- Toss with a fork to form large crumbs.
- Sprinkle half of crumb mixture over batter in pan.
- Arrange 1 cup of apple slices over crumb mixture.
- Carefully spoon on remaining batter.
- Arrange rest of apple slices over batter.
- Dot with the butter and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake in 350 degree oven 40-45 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm.
Easy and very good! I suggest not to measure 21/4 cups because the cake batter does settle. My box had not even 4 cups so i just divided it.I also added almond slivers in with the crumb mixture. I made it in a 10 inch pie dish then after baked and cooled dusted with powdered sugar. Kree thumbs up! If I had 5 thumbs they`d all be up. Yummy!
Everyone loved this cake, it was so delicious! I served it slightly warm with whip cream on top. It is simple to make! I followed Rita's suggestion about dividing the cake mix and it does work fine. I forgot to add the vanilla but will do that next time. Baking time was right on for me. Awesome recipe Kree, thank you.