Not enough pie lovers to require a full-size pie? This recipe makes enough for 4 servings and no leftovers! You might find it only serves 2 if you have hungry pie lovers.
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (1 1/2 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz box)
- 1 egg
- In 2-quart saucepan, mix apples, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of the water and the lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender.
- In small bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar and salt.
- Gradually stir into apple mixture, cooking and stirring until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F
- Let pie crust pouch stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Remove pie crust from pouch; unroll crust on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Spoon cooled fruit mixture evenly onto half of crust to within 1/2 inch of edge.
- In small bowl, beat egg and 1 tablespoon water; brush over edge of crust.
- Fold untopped half of crust over apple mixture; firmly press edge to seal.
- Flute edge; cut small slits in several places in top crust. Brush top with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve warm or cool.