- 515 g yellow cake mix, Duncan Hines is good
- 100 ml applesauce, use unsweetened this is equal to one fruitcup
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 597 g apple pie filling (21oz)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butterscotch sundae sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9" springform cake pan. Set aside.
- PREPARE TOPPING: In a microwave proof bowl melt butter, stir in brown sugar, tablespoon flour, cinnamon and walnuts. Set aside.
- FOR THE CAKE: Place cake mix in a mixing bowl.
- Add applesauce and eggs and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add apple pie filling and beat on low speed just until apple is broken up (but not mushy) and evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with prepared topping (not the butterscotch sauce!) and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until cooked through and depending on your oven.
- Cool in the pan and drizzle with the butterscotch sauce before slicing.