Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 mins
We usually have these on Hanukkah (2nd or 3rd night), or perfect for a special Sunday Brunch. Usually served with Raspberry preserves or jam.
- 1 jar of motts applesauce
- 5 cups swan's down cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups corn oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- raspberry preserves, as a garnish or dipping sauce
- Pour the oil into a deep-fryer and preheat. An electric skillet works also, but they might not be as crisp.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, and set aside.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour and sugar, then combine with the eggs and apple sauce. With an electric mixer, mix on a low speed till everything is well incorporated into a reasonably thick batter. The batter should be refrigerated for at least an hour before frying.
- In a deep fryer, on a medium to high heat, drop the batter by the spoonful into the basket, and lower it into the oil. They burn quickly, and should only be deep fried for a couple of minutes or till golden brown. In an electric skillet on medium, the fritters cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Once they're golden, drain on paper towels and when cool, they may be rolled in powdered sugar and served with Raspberry preserves.