Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Presented By: Moira Kaye
- 3 large granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Put apples in the bottom of a lightly greased 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and egg until it looks like coarse cornmeal.
- Sprinkle topping over the apples.
- Pour melted butter over the entire dish.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
This is a fantastic recipe. I actually made a mistake and added the melted butter to the flous/sugar mixture (I also added a pinch of nutmeg & clove). I spread it over the top of the apples anyway and baked to a golden brown color. Delicious!! I served it to Youth Group to rave review. I also use Granny Smith, Fuji, and Red Delicious apples.
Like another person, I made the mistake of mixing the butter into the topping. It was wonderful, the second time, I followed the recipe as written and was not as happy with the results. I had butter at the bottom and the crumble was not as crunchy as I would have hoped. However, the butter mixed in was excellent.
I made this recipe as written (Odd, even for me...) and it was delicious! I have read the other reviews and their suggestions may work well (especially the 1/2 brown 1/2 white sugar) but this really is great as is! And if you have a handy dandy apple peeler/corer/slicer thingy, it comes together in just a few minutes. When a recipe is a kid-pleaser, it's a keeper. :)