I made these up this morning when we were looking for a different flavour of scone for breakfast. I forgot to put sugar in the scones, so I sprinkled the top with Demmara Sugar - and I like them better that way! It adds a nice crunch on top. These are not your typical buttery scone - these are more of a hearty, healthy, and hold you till lunch kind of scone! If you don't have cinnamon chips, add a tbsp or two of brown sugar and increase the cinnamon to 1 tsp to compensate.
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal, preferably large flake but quick oats will work
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon baking chips
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- light demerara sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Heat oven to 400.
- Mix dry ingredients together (oatmeal, flours, baking powder, cinnamon). Stir oil into dry ingredients well. Add apple, cinnamon chips, and walnuts and stir. Add vanilla to milk, and combine with the dry ingredients; stir until the dry ingredients are damp.
- Drop into four mounds on parhment paper lined or greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.