Recipe by zeldaz51
A cheesecake alternative From the classic "Diet for a small Planet", by Frances Moore Lappe. The granola crust is simple and healthier than a graham cracker crust.
- 2 cups granola cereal
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice or 1⁄4 cup other fruit juice
- 3 -4 tart green apples
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (or less, to taste)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Crust:In a blender, process granola to a coarse powder. Transfer to a bowl and add juice. Mix thoroughly and pat into a nine-inch pie dish. Brown the crust in a 350 degree oven before filling it, if you like.
- Pie: Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Peel, core, and slice the apples and sprinkle with lemon juice. Arrange apple slices on pie crust in circles, overlapping slightly.
- In a bowl, beat with a fork (NOT an electric mixer) the ricotta cheese, sugar, egg, yogurt, and vanilla. Pour over the apples and bake until pie is lightly browned and a knife comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.